Monday, February 23, 2009

Rock Cookies

The other day I decided to make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I’ve never met many people who enjoy this particular kind of cookie, but all of my roomies love them! It’s been a great bonding experience. Baking is especially enjoyable when it’s cold in the house and you really want to warm it up a bit. But by that time half your brain cells have already hit the sack...

So I made cookies the other night – a lot of cookies since we all like them. I noticed that the first batch didn’t quite look right. They were still in little blob forms like when I put them in the oven. Pausing to think, I realized that I forgot to add both the baking powder and baking soda. Fantastic. But no one really cares what cookies look like when there’s chocolate in them! So I cooked the rest of them... about 3 dozen total... They were great! I piled them all on a plate, served them to everyone, and still had at least a dozen left.

I’m not one who limits food consumption to particular times of the day. One of my favorite memories of my mother is eating chocolate cake for breakfast. The morning after she baked it, mom would cut a generous slice, put it in a bowl, and surround it with a mote of milk. My favorite was German chocolate. With that background knowledge, you can see how grabbing a cookie for breakfast really isn’t that odd. So the morning after my late-night baking, I put on the kettle and grabbed a cookie as I flipped on the morning news. I nearly broke a tooth. Apparently baking powder and baking soda aren’t just for aesthetic purposes. Yes, I am aware that those are leavening agents... give me a break, it was late!

So it’s taken us about a week, but we’ve eaten nearly all of the rock cookies – of course, always with liberal amounts of dunking!

No comments: