Santa Barbara is great. When I started telling people that I was moving to SB, they always mentioned how beautiful the town is and what wonderful weather we have all year round. I didn't really do a lot of research on SB before I got here, so those recommendations were my only reference point. Needless to say, my first impression was... "Where in the world have I moved?!?!" Santa Barbara is not, in fact, the suburb of LA that I thought. Which doesn't surprise anyone who actually knows Santa Barbara, LA, or California in general.
Santa Barbara certainly is beautiful - an amazing mix of mountains and ocean scenes. The downtown area has a particular look ("encouraged" by city codes, I am sure) which makes you want to just walk for hours. Which is probably what they were going for since all the shops are in that area. There are actually several towns that run right together: Carpenteria, Montecito, Santa Barbara, Goleta, Isla Vista, Ellwood. I am sure I missed a couple in there, but you get the idea. Each one is just a little bit different, a separate personality in a way. For example, Goleta is not Santa Barbara. Firstly, there are fewer trees along the highway to give the town that quaint SB feeling. Secondly, the architechure is more former-hip-1970s than the rustic, mission-style to which Santa Barbara aspires. I live in Goleta. And I don't mind that at all, but I have to admit that I visit Santa Barbara quite often. And over the last several months, I have really enjoyed getting to know my new home and it's quirks.
As for the weather, well, it's a bit colder than I expected from Southern California. People told me that the weather here doesn't fluxuate very much, ranging mainly from 65 to 75 degrees all year round. Which sounded pretty nice... until I got here and remembered that I am a desert rat. Perhaps 75 degrees means summer to some people, but to those of us who grew up in Tucson, it means fall. Which translates to freezing nights for me! I confess that I am pretty much a whimp when it comes to the cold (thanks, Dad, for passing that on), but this has been quite the adjustment for me. My roommates think this is ridiculous. And they were so tired of me complaining about the cold that they got me scarves, socks, and leg warmers for Christmas.
So life is good and I am enjoying my new home. Now that I have sort of set the scene, but prepared for fairly regular bloggging!
No comments:
Post a Comment