I know a college student who has been having a rather difficult semester: roommate issues making home-life tense, overwhelmed with homework, frustrated with summer job search, car broke down... you get the picture. Well, this overwhelmed college student needed some encouragement, some love, some care, and some groceries. All things I can provide! But we don't exactly live in the same city. So I hatched this plan to order him groceries and have them delivered. But putting my plan into action was a little more difficult than I expected. I knew there were stores that provided the service, but I just couldn't seem to find them for the right part of the country. After a number of calls to several companies, I threw up my hands and called the university. The very kind administrator suggested that I contact Schwan's. I had done enough research that I knew some companies charged for delivery or had very high prices so I mentioned that I would appreciate the number for the campus minister at the church nearby. I don't remember the exact words the administrator used, but the jist was that it wasn't really appropriate to call the church since the college-student in question really could go to the store himself and this was just something nice I wanted to do for him.
Honestly, my first reaction was anger. Don't worry, this was quickly followed by multiple benefits of doubt extended to the well-meaning administrator. I realize I probably sounded like a helicopter parent to a person who might hear from those types frequently. I wish instead the administrator had heard something like "you have a kid that needs love, let's do something about it!" Sure, this situation isn't really unique and there are lots of kids who need love... But let's not shrug our shoulders over this instance, let's do something about that, too. I mean, that certainly sounds like a job for the church.
So I thought to myself, "Don't get mad, get even!" And by "even" I mean doing unto others as I wish to be treated. So I have decided that my March will be filled with mad, crazy love and I wanted to invite others to join me. Each week, I am going to give a suggestion or a project that spreads some pretty crazy love. And, of course, I'd love some suggestions from any of you as well!
No comments:
Post a Comment