don't travel often. So the last two weeks have been rather strange
for me. While I haven't been to all of these in the last few weeks,
my travels have reminded me of some of my favorite places here in
Ghana.
Eddy's Pizza
I found a new pizza place and I am pretty excited. I tried it on a
whim last Friday while running errands around Accra with a friend.
And I went back the next day with a different friend. That's how good
it was. If you ever come to Ghana you should check it out: From
Circle, head toward Osu. About a mile up the road watch out for a
large white sign for the Bus Stop Pool Bar. The pizza place is right
next door. You can't miss it.
Krokrobite Gardens
Yes, I am recommending another pizza place. This one is very
different from the last but totally worth the trip. Between where I
am in Gomoa Fetteh and Accra there is a turn from the main road to a
beach town called Krokrobite. The jury is still out on how to
pronounce this name. Some Ghanaians say Kro KRO bi te and others say
Kro kro BI te. It doesn't matter how I say it, someone always
corrects me… It's a popular vacation spot for tourists and locals.
Among the accommodations to choose from there is a hostel/hotel with
an attached Italian restaurant owned by an Italian man and his Spanish
wife. The large sign outside the establishment reads "The best pizza
in Ghana, possibly in the world." Bold words, but the man delivers.
Next week a couple of us are going to Krokrobite just for the pizza –
it's worth the hour long drive!
Global Momma's
If you come to Ghana and are craving some things from home, go to Osu.
On one street there is a grocery store, a gelato place, several
restaurants that offer burgers, and coming soon a KFC. I see the
highest concentration of foreigners on this street. Tucked away down
the street right next to the Koala grocery is a little store called
Global Momma's. It's a fair trade store for a local NGO that operates
in _____. Most of the store offers clothing options but there are
also interesting bags, beads, soaps, and lotions. But my favorite
item in this store is the cook book. I have searched and search for a
local cook book but have never been able to find one until Chelsea
introduced me to this store. (Thanks!) In addition to great recipes
and colorful pictures there are little tidbits about the food items:
where they come from, how they are eaten. But you don't have to come
all the way to Ghana to snag
No comments:
Post a Comment