Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Safe arrival and some new experiences

Hello everyone! I just wanted to let you all know that I arrived safely in Ghana. I arrived a little later than expected on Saturday night after a 3-4 hour delay in London. I was disappointed that it was too dark to see the Sahara Desert when we flew over it but I would much rather that the mechanic find and fix any technical problems while we are on the ground rather than after we have taken off, so I tried not to complain much. The seven hour flight landed just before midnight so we pulled up to the houses around 2 am and crawled into bed.

Despite having been to the area before, I have had several “firsts” already:

1. I watch my first Ghanaian soccer match. Ghana is hosting the African Cup of Nations, a football (soccer) tournament between all the nations in Africa. The games will take place in four different locations throughout the country and will last until February 10. Last night was the first match: between Guinea and Ghana. I decided to eat dinner before going to watch the game but I heard the village shout with joy several times so I figured that meant “we” were winning. But neither team had scored by the time I started watching so I was a little curious as to what the children would do when someone actually scored. I did not have to wait too long to find out. When the Black Stars scored their first goal, all the children rushed from the houses shouting and running in circles!



2. I got cold! Amazingly enough, I got a little cold last night. The children wear jackets when it is 80 and I always tell them how crazy I think they are. But last night I left all the windows open (don’t worry, there’s mosquito netting) to help air circulation and I woke up this morning wanting a couple of extra blankets. I don’t know where those would be or even if we have any but I do know where the extra towels are… so I grabbed a couple and made a little nest for myself. I think tonight I will wear my scrubs to bed.

Today was the beginning of the school term. Most people would expect this to mean that classes began today but they did not. They will probably begin tomorrow… I am not exactly sure what this is dependent on, but apparently it is still a bit up in the air. Over the school holidays, the building was painted and the floors were finished so most of the furniture was stored in the cafeteria. Today the children helped move the furniture back into the classrooms and staff office. Ten or so boys carried a very long bookcase up the stairs and wedged it between two flights. With a little wiggling they managed to get it free and hoist it over the balcony – only to wedge it in the stairs again! With a little more wiggling (the removal of some lightbulbs) they finally got the monstrosity in the hallway and through the door to the staff office. Even without the start of classes, it was a very busy and educational day.

I want to thank everyone who helped to make this book of thoughts for me while I am gone. I have enjoyed the thoughtful and funny notes you wrote but simply “hearing from you” every day is wonderful.

This was intended to be a short note but I think I failed on that one... Thank you for all your prayers and emails over the past few days. I very much appreciate your love and encouragement. God bless you this week and keep you safe. I will write again shortly!

Agape,

Alayna

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you made safely..I will continue to follow your adventure through your blog.

I wish I had had the opportunity to say goodbye to you but I know I would have cried.

I wish you well, my friend.

Athena(from Canyon Ranch)

Unknown said...

I am amazed & impressed at all you've done in your young life!
I had no idea you were even doing this. Athena shared your Blog with me & I can't wait to read more!
"Alex" (from Canyon Ranch too)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you made it safely there - can't wait to hear about your new adventure and see some photos!
Take care
oxoxDara

Anonymous said...

My dear friend, thank you for your voicemail before you left...I have been thinking about you so much and am so glad you are there and safe. I very desirous of a good conversation with you...hopefully soon! I love you friend!

Blakewell said...

I never got to fill out your book! Stink. Well, I guess that will just be balanced out by us keeping in good touch so maybe it's for the best. Know that I would have though!

Greetings From Tucson said...

HI,
Jenelle had the baby! Little Grant, 8 ob. 4 oz. on 1/27. Both are doing well!
Miss you!
Love, Sandy

Anonymous said...

Sorry you can't make the meeting...but I guess you have a good excuse! Don's giving a star talk at the Wearly home Sunday night. We'll miss you. It's cold today but sunny, and the mountains are blanked in snow.

Love,
Peggy