Our last week in Ghana went by much faster than I expected. As we sit here waiting to board our flight, it is surreal to think that the trip we have been planning since January is now over.
Last weekend our wonderful cooks, Ruben and Latisha, went to visit their families for the weekend so the Westside crew was on their own for food. Saturday morning some of the interns whipped up a wonderful batch of French toast – so sweet that no syrup was necessary. J And then we all headed to the beach for a little R&R. Of course, we had to weather a storm first. Literally. Dark rain clouds moved in so quickly that I had enough time to put down my bag and walk to the water only to dash back to my things and carry them to the safety of the ramada. After making sure that my camera and towel would remain dry, I joined the others who were playing Frisbee in the storm.
The wind was so strong that when we through the disc toward the ocean, it changed direction in mid-air and sailed behind us. We ate lunch at the restaurant on the beach and waited for the storm to pass before heading back to the water. I am not sure if the current is strong in the Gulf of Guinea or if it was just the particular beach we visited, but the churning waves were rather intimidating so no one ventured very far into the ocean. We played with the sand crabs, explored the little pools in the rocks, and flew a kite. All in all, not a bad way to send a Saturday!The average temperatures in the day reach about 90 degrees but the humidity makes it seem warmer. While most of the Americans are running around in
shorts and t-shirts, we see many of the children walking home from school wearing jackets or long sleeved-shirts. I am not sure whether that is to protect their skin from the sun or if they are cold but either way, I get heat stroke just thinking about it. At night the temperatures can reach 75 degrees and some times, there is even a wonder breeze. The perfect weather for sitting on the porch in my opinion. But the children are cold! One night while we doing homework on the front steps Stephanie, a cute little seven-year-old girl who likes to hug people around them middle and blow raspberries on their stomachs, crawled into my lap to cuddle. Shivering, she picked up my arms and wrapped them around herself. “It is cold,” she said with chattering teeth. When I laughed and told her that I was quite hot, she shook her head at me as though I were the crazy one. Too cute.A couple of weeks ago two of the interns brought a telescope for the school. The children love to look through it and they have so many questions. How do you explain them that they are looking at planets? That these planets are hundreds of miles way? That they are not actually tiny dots in the sky? The telescope
Originally our purpose for going to the Village of Hope was to tutor students in mathematics so they would be able to enter school at the correct grade level. But the greater need seemed to be to condense and supplement the curriculum. This task is not isolated to the mathematics curriculum either. We are condensing and supplementing 5 different subjects: Mathematics, Science, Environmental Studies, English, and Religious and Moral Education (RME). When we first realized how extensive our task was, we began emailing with teachers we knew, requesting lesson plans and suggestions. Thanks again to
As predicted this has been a week of savoring our last moments. Several times this week, Jessica and I both lingered over in the communal cooking area just to surround ourselves with the kids. I am sure that we were
We are looking forward to seeing and speaking to you very soon. Thank you for your prayers for our safe travel. We will also be praying for your safe travel as so many prepare to travel for the holiday weekend(s).
Agape,
Alayna
No comments:
Post a Comment